Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Every journey begins with a fork...or spoon.

To be honest, I am a novice chef. In fact, I much prefer the idea of being a cook as opposed to chef because there's something more innately human about being a cook. I mean, everyone can be a cook, a chef... seems so elite. Regardless, I am new to cooking and baking. For the past few years I have been able to cultivate my skills past the requisite microwave and prepackaged food to things slightly more complicated.
I first started really paying attention to food when I was trying to lose weight, about three years ago. After successfully losing 60 lbs I became even more interested in cooking. I began to realize what an impact food can have on your body but also on your life in general. More and more I have gained my own food convictions and have been trying to implement them into my daily life. For instance, I am a firm believer in recycling and sustainable practices.
I use a great reusable water bottle (Sigg Bottle- Whole Foods) instead of buying a large case of plastic bottles. Also, I try my best to buy organic and local farm produce whenever possible. I just believe that ultimately food is a huge part of our lives and whether we spend it at McDonald's or in our own kitchens we should be aware of it's impact on ourselves and our community. Don't get me wrong, I love a #1 with cheese, but is it worth it?
However, a large part of this blog is just about relishing in the pleasure of cooking and baking. The more recipes I read the more I want to make cakes and cookies and braises! My poor boyfriend is constantly forced to eat things like pumpkin spice cookies (which he does not particularly enjoy) all for the sake of making me happy. Not only is cooking fun but it's relaxing. I tend to be a little high strung (wink) so after stressing out about my acting career, job, family .... global warming.... conquering a new recipe is just what I need to calm down.
Be prepared for photos and opinions, I can't wait to share my love of cooking and baking with all of you, all three of you who actually read my blog. lol.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

YAY! Welcome to the blogosphere. Congratulations. I look forward to all of the yummy tidbits :)

babybird said...

ooh how exciting i am most interested in meatless, egg and dairy free recipes